The US-China Economics and Security Review Commission has just recently submitted its 2010 report to the US Congress (PDF) and the chapter on “China and the Internet” is a particularly interesting read. It touches on various topics including
- Use of Internet as a ‘‘propaganda and ideological work’’ as well as to ‘‘guide public opinion’’
- Regulations that provide unfair advantage to home-grown technology companies
- Standoff between Google and China vis-vis Operation “Aurora”
- Attack on Indian government
- Internet traffic manipulation
While I hate fear mongering with a vengeance, it would be stupid to ignore the warning signs emanating from China. Information warfare has been absorbed into Chinese military thinking and philosophy and we will be sitting ducks if we do not take evasive, defensive and offensive actions.